Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Fall Doldrums

I’ve been in a bit of a funk as of late. Finally settling into my new life, but still feeling displaced at times in this new area. I am very busy most of the time, but when I finally slow down I find myself to be super anxious and unfocused. I like to call this funk my “Artist’s Reverie.” Ever had that before? Where life seems so fast and slow at the same time, the lyrics of ballads suddenly start speaking your language, and you feel like you need to craft/write/read/draw/stare into space all the time?  No? Only me? Alright then, moving on.

I blame the weather. I am SO ready for it to be fall, but it is still hot and humid most days here in Georgia. I am even rebelling and dressing for the weather I want it to be, not for the weather it actually is. One might point out that wearing boots and scarves in mid-80 degree weather is probably what is causing my grouchiness. Perhaps.

And then today it hits me… October is right around the corner! As in next week! Wowzers. How did it get to be that time already? Pumpkins, sweaters, bonfires, fall colors, harvest… all of my favorite things jam packed in a few-week time period of the year.

But I have also realized that this year, just like every October for as long as I can remember, I will probably get the Fall Doldrums. The Fall Doldrums have plagued me ever since high school, always falling (ha, pun) in the last few weeks of October. I get antsy, and start asking myself those ever elusive, “What am I doing with my life?” questions. As the sky gets cloudy and the days become shorter, I always have this feeling of being trapped in boredom and monotony. I find that I am scolding myself often internally: “You will not find the meaning of your life on Pinterest. You will not find the… oh, okay… one more page...” I have a feeling this year will be hard as well, since I am away for the first time ever and missing out on all of the things I loved most about living in rural Illinois.

There are certainly things I am looking forward to in October… Luke has TWO long weekends, my sister Katie is coming to visit, I am going back to Illinois to see family and friends for 8 whole days (yippee!), Luke’s bromantic partner Nick is flying back with me for a week-long visit, and hopefully the pup will start learning to be a civilized creature as she begins her puppy training classes. Lots of great things happening in my favorite month of the year!

Hopefully the Fall Doldrums have just hit early this year, and/or I will figure out the meaning of life in time to FALL in love all over again with the autumn season and thoroughly enjoy my October without all the annual blahs.

Anyone have ideas on things to do to shake off the gloomies? I’m always up for a craft project ;)


3 comments:

  1. You will be aaaallllllllllll better when you get a Mama hug!!!.........or at least I will be!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ideas to shake the gloomies.....
    1. do a random act of kindness every day http://www.secretagentl.com/
    2. take vitamin B12 - Garden of Life brand is a good one
    3. make a pot of chilli
    4. invite someone over to have tea and cookies in the middle of the afternoon
    5. find or take a favorite photo of an everyday event - print it, frame it, hang it
    6. go find a cool piece of "junk" furniture, refinish or reupholster it
    7. in mid October return with a box full of perfect fall leaves, some pretty corn, small pumpkins, wheat, etc. and decorate your mantel....like here http://theletteredcottage.net/
    8. write on your blog every day
    9. make an apple or pumpkin pie
    10. find a local school and offer to come read to their class - read them a story about fall in central IL or harvest season
    11. write a scavenger hunt for Luke and Nick to do - it could be a video scavenger hunt (did we ever do that while you were in Federation?)
    12. hand wash all of your sweaters, scarves, hats, etc. so they are fresh and ready to go. It will make you smile to have them smell pretty when you put them on.
    13. hand write a letter or card and send it to someone who will be super surprised to get mail.
    14. clean something out - pitch/delete/donate (i.e. your closet, your computer, your catch all drawer, your file cabinet)
    15. put together a care package of "Everything Georgia" and send it to your former co-workers at the school.

    I could keep going, but I better get back to work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knit me a baby blanket! Haha, just kidding. When I first got married, I spent a lot of time making my wedding scrapbook. Don't know if you've already started one, but that's a crafty thing you can do.

    ReplyDelete