Saturday, August 3, 2013

I Must've Done Something Good: Part III - The Wedding

Aaandd, we're back. This is gonna be a long one, folks. Hold on to your hats. This is

THE WEDDING POST. 
(Duh Duh Duh)

We left off with this guy:

And this girl:

And this moment:

And their mutual agreement that the other person was pretty darn swell.

Nearly a month ago on July 5th, Luke and I were married at Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in Lacon. It is the church my dad grew up in, and the church my sisters and I were all baptized and confirmed in. It has always been my home church and probably will always remain my "home church", despite moving away. The threads of my family's lives are so intertwined with this place, and I'm blessed that it was the church my dad got to walk me down the aisle to marry the love of my life.

The morning of the wedding started off pretty normal. I slept in until about 8 AM, which was awesome. So much for a jittery bride or getting up early to get my hair done (more perks of sisterly-talent). I woke up, and with the advice of a dear friend in mind, prayed a rosary to get in the right state of mind for the day. It absolutely made all the difference, because there was hardly a moment of the day that I found unbearably stressful.

Before I went downstairs to hang out with my family (to be greeted by Steph with "BABY DAY!!" and "LAST SINGLE MORNING!!"), I prepared Luke's wedding gift. I wanted to put a lot of time and thought into it because, well, I've been putting a lot of time and thought into it for about the last 5 years.

Since 2008, and 2 1/2 years before I met Luke, I had been writing letters to my future husband. They included many of the times I was happy, sad, frustrated, and homesick for the person I wanted to meet more than anything. I didn't know who he was, but I wanted to let this special person know just how much I prayed for him, loved him, thought about him, and was waiting for him, until the moment I could give him the letters on our wedding day... whenever that would be. Obviously in the time that I knew Luke, I continued writing letters, but never addressed them to him (you know, just in case he left me at the altar). So, on the morning of our wedding, I wrote my last letter and finally got to write his name at the top of it.

(I know, totes adorbs.)

After I stirred from my beauty slumber/lounging, I went downstairs, got my hair done by my sister, laughed so, so much with my family, and pretty much just chilled. In fact, that's really all I did for the next 6 hours... chilled. Very calmly, very patiently. Over at the church my lovely ladies gathered in the rectory basement to get ready, and we ate, laughed, and chilled some more. It only added to the absolute perfection of the entire day.

Until the chilling became, "Um... uh oh. It's 20 minutes til the wedding and Emily is not dressed yet." Oops.

So I got dressed very quickly without much nostalgia or 1000 pictures of me slipping on my shoes or pinning my hair or freaking out because my fake eyelashes kept popping off. Those moments will have to be left to the oral histories.

 About 15 minutes before the wedding, Luke and I were each led to a corner of the church by our bridal party, while both of us had our eyes closed. Around the corner, they pulled our hands together, and the two of us had a few minutes to pray together quietly before the wedding, still without seeing each other and spoiling the fun.



And then, the rest is pretty much documented through pictures.

Seeing Luke for the first time. 


Cracking up halfway down the aisle because my dad whispering, "There's still time to run... I have the truck keys.... you can still back out." Mostly to keep both of us from losing it. Also laughing so loud the entire church heard and laughed, too. 

The beautiful wedding Mass. 

This moment. FINALLY. 

The sabre arch exit, that I managed to walk through without tripping over my killer awesome heels, which I thought was a win for the day.  



The hilariously terrifying moment when Luke did not know where his keys were. And this face I made. 

THIS PICTURE. (Our photographer was like, "Done. We are done for the day. I got all I needed.")

These beauties. 

 And these beasts.
(And I mean that in the best, 'you-are-such-a-beast' way). Seriously, these gents rocked it.
Our walk-in song, which Luke picked out and is pretty much my favorite now. 

Dancing with my dad. 

 Dancing with this guy.

(You know how happy I look? Not even close to how happy I felt.) 

New friends. 

Old friends.

 Being serenaded by devastatingly handsome military men in front of 225 people. 

But most of all this: 

And this. 


And this.

I know it is just disgustingly cliche to say your wedding day is the happiest day of your life, but seriously people. I got to have one big party with all of the people I love most in this world, and it was a blast. I got to marry a man with the biggest heart and have a beautiful wedding to celebrate our love. 

Most importantly I got to start a marriage with someone who will not be afraid
to show me the way in dark times,

who I will get to have my cake and eat it too with,
(Maayyy have been a stretch, I know.) 

and share in this crazy adventure we are about to embark on called life. 

It was the perfect day. A lot of words and stories still really can't say any more or any less than that. It was more than happiness, because there is a reason that marriage is formed as a symbol of Christ's love for the Church. It is joy, sadness, fulfillment, and sacrifice all in one. It is the rock I am going to form my family on, and the springboard for the rest of my life. I am blessed, overjoyed, and still in awe of the people we have come to know on our journey who have made the paths we took toward each other full of beauty and faith. As our paths merge into one, Luke and I just want to thank, from the depths of our hearts, all of the family and friends who made our day what it was.
Without you we would be lost. 


"Cause you make me
Laugh a little louder
Love a little harder... 
And I feel alive when I'm with you.
Every time it's something new.
You're the only reason I fight.
You're the best thing in my life." 


Dudes, if you made it through all that, rock on. Next up is Part IV: Honeymoon Stories.
It won't be as long, totes promise.


17 comments:

  1. I may have made it through, but did I make it through tear free? No. Once I started to listen to the song and read on I broke. Ah love, and the love you two amazing people have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows, without your ER visit we may have never ended up together! haha! You were there from the start!!

      Delete
    2. My right kidney know holds responsibility for you two bonding and laughing at how high pain killers made me.

      On the way home for ER:
      Me: "OH MY GOD look at how bright that Christmas light is!!!"
      Luke" Rachel, close your eyes..."
      Me: "OOOKKK!!!"

      Delete
  2. This was not even that long; stop apologizing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, writing letters to your husband before you knew who he was is pretty adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! Of course, the English teacher wouldn't mind long posts too much ;) Miss you, Kels!

      Delete
  4. not even an honorable mention....i see how it is

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do an ENTIRE post about how awesome my brother in law is. Would that be okay? :)

      Delete
  5. Love it. All of it. It's completely worth every tear and sacrifice and moment of frustration. I promise marriage only gets better with time...like a fine wine. BUT you have to work at it every day. Many blessings and prayers for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Luke and I were on our honeymoon, we were playing a question/answer game and one of them was, "What couple's marriage do you most want your marriage to look like?" At the same time, without hesitation, we said, "Chris and Britta!" :) Prayers always for all of you, and much love!!

      Delete
  6. You two are a couple that we can all look up to. Many years of happiness to the both of you. And lots of babies. Don't forget the babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that reminded me of this.....
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suIJaAuYhqI

      Delete
    2. God willing, lots and lots of babies! :) Thank you!!!

      Delete
  7. These stories just keep getting better and better.......

    ReplyDelete