Thursday, August 1, 2013

I Must've Done Something Good: Part I - The Meet Cute

...Somewhere in my youth, or childhood, to deserve the man I married.

Luke and I met on August 22nd, 2010. I seriously do remember the first time I saw him, because a friend had told me over the summer that I "just had to meet this guy". He walked into Mass, wearing his altar server surplice and I remember thinking, "Ahh, this is the man I will marry."

Or not.

I do remember thinking, "Geesh.. he looks so serious."

See, Luke had just gotten back from a few months of Basic Training with the Army. He had a haircut buzzed down to his scalp, and he looked serious because, well, he was serving Mass, and people tend to look somewhat contemplative when doing such. Afterwards, a group of people circled up in the lobby to introduce themselves to me (since I was a newbie in a sea of familiarity at a small college chapel), Luke being among them. Everyone was so nice and welcoming, and I knew I would make friends fast here.

Except that Luke kid, who didn't even give me the time of day. Not so much as a "My-name-is-___" or a "Howdy-do-dee." Humpf. I was convinced that he hated me.

So he tells me now that he was just scared of the "pretty new girl" who obviously just had to have a boyfriend that would jump out and pummel him at the sight of any handshake that lasted a millisecond too long. He could face combat training, but a girl 10 inches shorter than him?... Naw.

Fast forward to Halloween weekend, and Luke and I found ourselves on a trip with friends to a church retreat hosted by Bradley University. At this point we had exchanged more than a few sentences, so we were on the fast track to becoming friends. After our amazing retreat, we also realized that faith was a huge part of each others' lives, and we quickly bonded over that, too. I didn't admit to myself that I really liked him (hardcore) at this point, but I did become very aware of wherever he sat during the weekend. He admits that he purposely never stood near me in case we had to pray/hold hands and I could "sense his feelings" with my girl-powers.

After that weekend, it was all over for me. I was falling into like with this guy that I was still sure had zero interest in me. We bonded some more over music, study sessions, getting involved in church, and our total opposite-ends-of-the-spectrum environment we grew up in, him being from the big city and me from the farm. By the time late November rolled around, I had an inkling that he wasn't totally bothered by my company. When he left for Thanksgiving Break, I was standing there for a last hug before he drove away.

So much like, that was probably a little bit of love, too.

The events of December 2nd was as follows:

We spend the entire day together. The ENTIRE day. (I skipped class to play pool with him, yet again.)

11:30 PM (yes, PM) rolls around. He walks me out to my car.

Luke and Emily: "Blather blather.... hahaha...blather blather." Ten more minutes. Nonsense.
Luke: "So I was wondering...maybe sometime.... wouldyouliketogetdinnerwithme?"
*pause*
Emily: *SMACK across the arm* "It's about darn time!!!"

...And then we proceeded to unexpectedly and unrelatedly take our friend to the E.R. for the next several hours. Another story for another time.

And it's all more lovey dovey nonsense from there.

I love this guy. I love his love for me. I love our story. I love that this was just the beginning, and that there is so much more to come.  



6 comments:

  1. I feel like the pigtail story should be told...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No mention of Alyce or myself! well this story is clearly incomplete lol... I love you two very much and I absolutely love your story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we love you!!! I'll have to do an entire post about you and Alyce's version. Or you can guest-blog with me!!

      Delete
  3. Rachel - I totally should've. That's probably the only reason he started liking me :)

    Katie - I agree!

    Thomas - I seriously wanted to, but that would have been such a side tangent. I promise, another blog post will be dedicated to you and Alyce's torture over this night. I hope all of your battle wounds are healing from the rabid wolves you fought off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love your story. We love you as a couple. Our kids simply adore you and we never really got to say so before your adventures in Georgia began. But I'm pretty sure you know that we're always praying for you!

    ReplyDelete